4.18.2008

A New Aproach to Tzatziki

I will admit right up front that I have absolutely no preconceived notions of Tzatziki. Peter called this afternoon and suggested that we take dinner to Greece tonight, and I was quick to jump on board. I’ve been thinking about cucumber salad lately and I wanted to take a stab at Tzatziki. So in my mind I wanted a tart creamy salad jam packed with herbs and crunchy cucumbers. I’m not sure if its proper to call this dish tzatziki, but the resulting salad was absolutely fantastic.

I’ve been watching Kyle Kwong’s show Simply Chinese and she does a lot of quick pickles with cucumbers and celery. I was thinking this was the perfect opportunity to try out this new technique. So basically what I did was dice the cucumber and then tossed them with salt and sugar and let them set for fifteen minutes. The salt pulls the water out of the cucumbers and the sugar helps balance the flavors. After fifteen minutes I drained off all of the excess liquid and then let them soak up the red wine vinegar. To finish the dish off I combined the pickled cucumber with Greek yogurt, minced garlic, lemon zest and fresh mint, tarragon and parsley.

No comments: