Here is my personal interpretation, which I've finally refined to get consistent results every time. Freshly grating the Parmesan helps create a nicely emulsified consistency.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 anchovy filets
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, heaping
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 0.5 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 0.5 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Kosher salt
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 cup croutons
1. Combine: Garlic, anchovies, egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice, and water in a blender or food processor and process for 30 seconds until smooth.
2. Pour: With blender/processor running, slowly pour olive oil into mixture to emulsify the dressing.
3. Stir: Parmesan into dressing along with a pinch of salt and a generous couple of grinds of black pepper.
4. Pulse: Blender/processor to combine cheese to desired consistency (may skip this step if stirring was adequate).
5. Toss: Cut or tear the lettuce into a large mixing bowl. Add enough dressing to coat to your liking.
6. Transfer: to serving bowl.
7. Garnish: Add freshly grated parmesan and croutons to the top, and serve immediately.